Well, this was a bit of a stumble. Busy week, busy week. On Friday, I took a side-trip to write a blog article (namely this one, which I think a lot of you have already read).
Then on Saturday, my congregation held a community cookout, which was a lot of fun:
In case you missed it, Pastor Otte in the dunk tank. Enjoy!
Posted by Concordia Lutheran Church – South St. Paul on Saturday, July 11, 2015
Like I said, lot of fun, but a full day.
But then, on Monday, I had a great writing day. A local writing friend of mine had a bunch of us over to work on our current projects and I was able to do a lot of writing on The Iron Staff project.
That’s when I hit the wall. See, there’s been something big that’s been looming in this story. I had to come up with a plan, the perfect plan, for the story to go forward. I didn’t come up with it when I started the story. I mean, why would I? I had plenty of time to figure it out. Then I hit a swerve in the middle of the story that shuffled some of the elements around, meaning that what little I had figured out went belly up.
But this week, I came up on the need for a plan. And I still didn’t have one. So I had to put the brakes on while I tried to piece it all together.
Thankfully, I think I’ve struck on what the plan needs to be. I feel good about it.
This now creates a new situation: I’ve realized that the manuscript is a mess. There are bits and pieces of what I’ve been trying to do all over the place. I’ve also realized that the way I’ve scattered those seeds don’t make a lick of sense. There’s gonna be a lot of work to be done in the future to get this all in line.
But that’s rewriting and revision, not banging out the first draft.
So because of all this drama, I was only able to add 6,428 words. Not too shabby, but it’s less than half of what I wanted to do, especially if I’m going to land this before the end of the month.
Ah, well. Two weeks to go in July. Might be do-able, but I’m not holding my breath. I do have to say this, though: